[OldCP] v9.5

Made by Damen in Announcements

Daymen
Administrator
5,165 posts
Seen 23rd June 2024
14th August 2014, 07:45 PM

Hello,

Over the past few hours oldcp's server base has been dramatically re-shaped. After studying the way that the language works in certain situations, problems called 'closures' became the focus of attention.

'Closures' are an occurrence in code that can cause 'memory leaks', which fill up the computer the server is running on so much that it causes lag, stops you from logging in and ultimately... Connection Lost. (When the server gets so filled up it simply bursts and is killed by the computer, then Mark messages Damen on Skype and he has to get on his toblerone slippers and start the server again).

Unfortunately, these closures were EVERYWHERE, especially inside the commands code.

So unfortunately, v9.5, is a version that has a lot less commands than before. Most essential commands were remade and can be used. Here are the working ones:
    /id
    /jr
    /rejoin
    /kick
    /ban
    /warn
    /ipban
    /unban
    /addall
    /global
    /groom
    /newcp
    /g
    /r

Other impacted services are the OldCP Mod Panel which will no longer work when trying to use server console, room camera, mod chat, monitor. You can still view penguin profiles though.
Snowball Server
Is gone. Yes, simply over.

Things should seem mostly the same, but I cannot at this time guarantee that all instances of these closures are entirely removed. Or, since closures are not the only cause of memory leaks, if the server only suffers from closures.

The same research will benefit the game Snaildom which is being made, it shall be alot easier to fix in regard to closures and will save us allot of trouble when it's up.

I hope OldCP is better, quicker, more sustainable experience for us all. If this fails, then I may need to consider re-programming the server code from Line 1 or simply ending the Club penguin recreation project here.

Thank you!
Emperor Damen

+1 by Dancebear, Cheep, Bunny the Loved, Bp28 and 54 others

Veteran
Master
927 posts
Seen 28th August 2023
14th August 2014, 07:46 PM

Thank you for informing us Damen! Thank you for fixing the game :) We cant wait to get back on!

+1 by Cheep, EmilyXo, Annie and

Close Friends

- Abushekaus, The PCC Crew, Malorie, Harrison, Zeshan -

Me, myself, and I.
846 posts
Seen 26th March 2020
14th August 2014, 07:46 PM

Yay! I'm so glad OldCP is updated, Damen! :D

~Firestar Ninja~

+1 by Cheep
Ninja
Be who you are, don't be someone else be you. You are beautiful you are good. You are you. <3
Hi guys, I'm Ninja. Just another regular person on the DSGHQ. :P
~Carried away by a moonlight shadow~

Lady of the Empire
Master
1,003 posts
Seen 3rd November 2019
14th August 2014, 07:48 PM

Oh. Well thank you for the useful information. :). I hope the recreation project never ends. :)

Lady Cheep Glitz of the Royal Imperial Bank
Lady of the Bank - Detective - Forums Moderator - OldCP Moderator - Lady of the Empire

Friends
Hails||Sadie|Chelsey|Tess|Mico|Damen|Dance|Gamer|Con|Jacob|Adam

Wiki:Cheep

♪ ♫ ♪
Master
2,958 posts
Seen 30th December 2020

This is awesome! I'm can't wait until oldcp re-opens! Soon, could we have more commands though?

+1 by Cheep, EmilyXo and Pencil

skippy
Master
991 posts
Seen 8th February 2021

Damen what about arrest? Will there be arresting? Well thx for the post! Bye! :)

+1 by Cheep

Thanks Daisy! :)

http://prntscr.com/5sqc84

Thank you Jacks!

Cat lover
Master
1,721 posts
Seen 2nd January 2022

Quote:
Hello,

Over the past few hours oldcp's server base has been dramatically re-shaped. After studying the way that the language works in certain situations, problems called 'closures' became the focus of attention.

'Closures' are an occurrence in code that can cause 'memory leaks', which fill up the computer the server is running on so much that it causes lag, stops you from logging in and ultimately... Connection Lost. (When the server gets so filled up it simply bursts and is killed by the computer, then Mark messages Damen on Skype and he has to get on his toblerone slippers and start the server again).

Unfortunately, these closures were EVERYWHERE, especially inside the commands code.

So unfortunately, v9.5, is a version that has a lot less commands than before. Most essential commands were remade and can be used. Here are the working ones:

/id

/jr

/rejoin

/kick

/ban

/warn

/ipban

/unban

/addall

/global

/groom

/newcp

/g

/r

Other impacted services are the OldCP Mod Panel which will no longer work when trying to use server console, room camera, mod chat, monitor. You can still view penguin profiles though.

Snowball Server

Is gone. Yes, simply over.

Things should seem mostly the same, but I cannot at this time guarantee that all instances of these closures are entirely removed. Or, since closures are not the only cause of memory leaks, if the server only suffers from closures.

The same research will benefit the game Snaildom which is being made, it shall be alot easier to fix in regard to closures and will save us allot of trouble when it's up.

I hope OldCP is better, quicker, more sustainable experience for us all. If this fails, then I may need to consider re-programming the server code from Line 1 or simply ending the Club penguin recreation project here.

Thank you!

Emperor Damen
i will remember these times :)

+1 by Cheep

[/spoiler] [/center]

i am forever thankful Zeternal :)

Strong Blood
Master
1,033 posts
Seen 13th March 2016
14th August 2014, 07:49 PM

Thank You Damen For Telling us this Information! Im Excited!

+1 by Cheep

2,442 posts
Seen 26th February 2019
14th August 2014, 07:49 PM

Thank you for the information.

I hope OldCP dosent go. It would be sad. we had so much memories. At the same time i'm excited for Snaildom. If OldCP is able to survive, will you be able to add commands as the game goes on? Thank you for doing all this work for us, it shows that you really want us to be happy.I appreciate all the work you've done, and that you are currently doing. I hope OldCp gets better, and i'm very excited for Snaildom aswell. thank you for informing us! +1

~Rawr

+1 by PenguinDSC, Cheep, EmilyXo, molly and 1 other

1,763 posts
Seen 11th March 2023
14th August 2014, 07:52 PM

Hello Damen!
I see there is a problem. But, I am here to encourage you!
I am amazed by your games, and I'd like to thank you for making these astounding games! You are my role-model 24/7 and I cannot thank you enough for even being on Earth. Thank you so much.

~Maggie :star:

+1 by Cheep, Zeternal, PenguinDSC, EmilyXo and 2 others

Veteran
Master
5,478 posts
Seen 29th August 2023
14th August 2014, 07:54 PM

Fantastic!
I am proud to here all of this news. I will for sure create an account once 3:00 AM reaches and I will for sure welcome all back to the server, hopefully all Moderator(s) will return or re-gain their given rank. Thanks for all this information and thanks for creating this detailed discussion. I truly loved all of this and read it front to back, brilliant work!

+1 by Cheep, PenguinDSC, EmilyXo, molly and 1 other
Hi, I'm Scott.
[DSGHQ Veteran || Senior Captain || Master]

Questions, comments, concerns? Don't hesitate to message me.

Imperator.
Master
2,097 posts
Seen 21st September 2020
14th August 2014, 07:55 PM

Will we still have our accounts?

+1 by Cheep and PenguinDSC

322 posts
Seen 9th August 2015
14th August 2014, 07:55 PM

Great! Thank you Damen for the Heads up! :D

+1 by Cheep