13th March 2019

Phishing

Made by Cristal in Announcements

hot eyebrows
Master
1,101 posts
Seen 1st June 2023
13th March 2019, 02:29 PM

Hey users of OldCP! With all of the anonymous and very interesting crimezone going on and all of the much appreciated posts about the issue I wanted to take a moment to talk about something that came in relation to this issue.

Two users on the game were, I guess you can say targeted in a sense where someone pretended to be them. I’m not sure what happened to one of the users but the other user, sugar sent mail to another user saying “nice password” however it wasn’t her. It was someone else “cloning” her account. This is an example of phishing.

Okay so I probably lost you at the cloning part. We have seen cloning of users on oldcp like gamer. This is the same idea but on forums. Phishing is the fraudulent attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by disguising as something or someone trustworthy. However in this case someone made a fake login page that looked identical to the real one and was able to record the login info. By doing this they were able to use sugars account.

Phishing is a dangerous cybercrime and targets users on the web to scam them into something dangerous. Now this is occurring more on the forums so it’s important for you guys to know about this, even for your personal life this information can help you a lot.

Ways you can tell phishing has occurred

- If it’s on email, and you’ve been given a deal that seems to be way too unrealistic and random for you it’s most likely a scam. If you’re having suspicions from the offer completely ignore it. For example “you’ve been offered 40 million dollars” yes because a 14 year old being offered 40 million dollars makes a lot of sense (it does not!)

- When you come across mail on forums or emails that say you have a limited time to accept an unrealistic or random offer it’s best to ignore them. Or even threatening emails such as “you have 24 hours to update your personal information or your account gets suspended” don’t believe those emails or mails on forums and completely ignore them. If you’re afraid of the threatening emails from a “well known” company don’t click any links in the email just go to the official website or call the actual company about the issue.

- NEVER CLICK A LINK IN THE EMAIL OR MAIL!! This is something you must be aware of, don’t act fast and click the link right away just hover around the link and your browser will show you where the link will take you before clicking on it. So think before click.

- If you see an attachment in an unusual mail or something you never see in your mail or you weren’t expecting it.. DO NOT CLICK IT EITHER! Because you’re not gonna know if it’s a virus being put into your computer or not so don’t click it. If you don’t know where the mail came from just ignore it completely.

- If someone is pretending to be someone you know and they are acting suspicious or asking for things they normally don’t ask ignore it or message the person on another platform.

Check this out for ways you can prevent phishing from happening on email http://www.phishing.org/what-is-phishing

Ways you can prevent this on forums:
- if you get weird mail from random accounts report it to forums mods immediately!! Don’t reply to the mail just ignore it

- If you get weird mail from a user you do know but it seems like they are asking for something they normally wouldn’t or they are offering a weapon or something for your password. Message the user on discord and ask if they are aware of the mail. OR message an admin or moderator ASAP

- If someone sent you a forums mail threatening you to leak your personal information if you didn’t do what they asked, or if they send a random link with no context report it to ADMINS immediately.

Now it doesn’t have to be forums mail, it can be anything from forums posts to forums moods. You have to be careful, don’t try to take the situation into your own hands report it to the staff on the game and ignore it. Because that’s the safest way to go.

So now that you know it’s possible for people to make a fake login that is identical to the real one, be aware with who you trust and always report suspicious activity to mods and admins.

+1 by Romeo, EbonJaeger, Aaron, Sugar and 15 others
Foot

Live Fast Die Young
Master
1,776 posts
Seen 22nd January 2020
13th March 2019, 02:30 PM

All leather. That's better.

+1 by Cristal
Live Fast Die Young

princess
Master
819 posts
Seen 28th November 2021
13th March 2019, 02:52 PM

ohh so thats what happened? thats acc spooky omg

+1 by Cristal and eyelash, -1 by Lex
masquerade
paper faces on parade
masquerade

hey
Master
679 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
13th March 2019, 03:05 PM

Thanks Cristal! Very helpful and I would like but I have centrist rip

hi

nobody
11 posts
Seen 21st June 2020
13th March 2019, 03:10 PM

Oh wow. Thanks for letting everyone know about that.

+1 by Cristal, Sled and Loki

Coolest LOTB Ever
Master
388 posts
Seen 27th June 2023
13th March 2019, 03:23 PM

Thankkyou for posting about this, Cristal. This is an issue that I myself have come across before and its not so good.

+1 by Cristal

G
Master
940 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
13th March 2019, 05:13 PM

Good man cristal
My suggestion is just dont click links at all and just google the thing someone sent you

+1 by Cristal

wherearetheavocados
112 posts
Seen 1st June 2019
13th March 2019, 05:20 PM

thanks for the info cristal!

i also agree with the dont answer it part, just report it right away .3.

+1 by Cristal

graphic designer
3,098 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
13th March 2019, 06:02 PM

MAKE SURE YOUR CONNECTION IS SECURE

+1 by EbonJaeger, Lloyd, Cristal, Toby and 1 other

it was only hypothetical
Master
6,414 posts
Seen 25th August 2023
13th March 2019, 06:55 PM

Sleddy wrote on 13th March 2019, 06:02 PM:

Sled just said it all.

+1 by Sled and Cristal
Gone

Sweet memories

Master
1,051 posts
Seen 7th August 2022
13th March 2019, 09:04 PM

we need shane dawson.

+1 by Cristal, Sebastian and Yeet
contact me through discord if you need me @honey#4967
<3

Banned
156 posts
Seen 17th February 2020
14th March 2019, 01:30 PM

Sleddy wrote on 13th March 2019, 06:02 PM:

This is also a very important point, because data that isn't encrypted can be stolen, and this could be your password or pin-code.

+1 by Sled

Banned
2,542 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
14th March 2019, 05:14 PM

you really expect me to read all that someone summarize this for me in like 2 sentences.

806 posts
Seen 5th November 2020
14th March 2019, 08:32 PM

Thanks for telling us cristal

+1 by HammyMajed

The Dude
85 posts
Seen 18th February 2021
15th March 2019, 08:52 AM

Cristal, This information is really, REALLY helpful! These things happen not only in forums or games, but it also happens in ALL social media and Online platforms! There are TONS of hackers worldwide that do this, and they come in a VAST variety to Cyberbullying, Catfishing, CEO Fraud, Pharming, Information Theft, Password Theft, Pin-Code Theft, Unencrypted Data, Technological Hacks, and even Super Viruses! and as you stated, Phishers can Hack other's account to threaten the account's friend, and that's bad and it could lead to dangerous effects on communities! People really need to be careful about what they Click, what they Search, and what they are getting into! :(
People need to be more careful on what they get into. Stay Safe everyone and Don't get Phished! ;)
Like this by making a +1 ;)

HammyMajed:

Just a dude who's overly simple with dreams, and is cool with everyone.
not much to say, but I'm still a dude around here. :T

Login or join the forums to reply.