The Restorative Approach

Made by Damen in Announcements

Daymen
Administrator
5,165 posts
Seen 23rd June 2024
9th April 2020, 03:36 PM

Dear everyone!

I'm excited to announce 'the restorative approach' to resolving conflicts in the DSGHQ.

What is it?

The Restorative Approach is going to change how all staff on the DSGHQ deal with conflicts when moderating.

This will make moderating less about kicking, banning and giving warnings and more about resolving and preventing conflicts.

Training for moderators
I am going to arrange a webinar for moderators and Penguin Watch members where I will go through the restorative approach with them.
You can find the resource we will be studying here: http://dsghq.com/misc/RestorativeApproach.pdf
(Everyone is free to read it and see what the mods and PW will be learning)

Webinar Date: Monday 13th April 2020
Webinar Time: 4 PM EST / 9 PM UK / 1 PM PST
Webinar Link: Will be given to you by Sled / Damen / Chelsey / Adawg
(If you can't make it, you can request the link from me or Sled afterwards)

Rewards
At the GOM, I will be looking for anyone using the restorative approach. It will be built into the tasks somehow. This is a HUGE way you can boost your chances of winning tasks and mod itself.

What you can expect
You can expect the mods on OldCP, Penguin3D and the forums to be better prepared to resolve conflicts and deal out merciful & fair sanctions.

All moderators and penguin watch must read the training resource before the webinar

+1 by Sled, Zaron, Mercer, Scott and 29 others, -1 by Lex

Rookie
2,706 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
9th April 2020, 03:42 PM

amazing. inspirational. damen.

+1 by Brit, -1 by Nate

Veteran
Master
5,478 posts
Seen 29th August 2023
9th April 2020, 03:52 PM

I love this.

Throughout my time as staff on OldCP, even on here, I have prided myself on using a very similar approach when taking action(s) against a group of people. Whenever something "crazy" happened, I would normally summon both individuals to my igloo, I'd get both stories - let them talk together, then I would come in again and communicate with them my opinion on the matter.

Personally, I haven't banned that many people on OldCP since 2013... why? Because I typically felt like communication was far stronger than simply rushing into using commands. Sure, commands are indeed fantastic, but they're not going to get your message across as clearly as you may want it. I really like this idea, Damen. Again, there are some circumstances where this approach may not be fit per-say, but it is great nonetheless! :)

+1 by Bailey and sel
Hi, I'm Scott.
[DSGHQ Veteran || Senior Captain || Master]

Questions, comments, concerns? Don't hesitate to message me.

it was only hypothetical
Master
6,414 posts
Seen 25th August 2023
9th April 2020, 04:39 PM

I've always been interest in theory of conflict and conflict-solving, your webinar will be very instructive.

Gone

Sweet memories

Veteran
Master
3,713 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
11th April 2020, 01:44 PM

sarabareille wrote on 9th April 2020, 03:52 PM:
I love this.
Throughout my time as staff on OldCP, even on here, I have prided myself on using a very similar approach when taking action(s) against a group of people. Whenever something "crazy" happened, I would normally summon both individuals to my igloo, I'd get both stories - let them talk together, then I would come in again and communicate with them my opinion on the matter.
Personally, I haven't banned that many people on OldCP since 2013... why? Because I typically felt like communication was far stronger than simply rushing into using commands. Sure, commands are indeed fantastic, but they're not going to get your message across as clearly as you may want it. I really like this idea, Damen. Again, there are some circumstances where this approach may not be fit per-say, but it is great nonetheless!

That's similar to what I did as staff, though a bit less because sometimes I would use kick or ban depending on how badly rules were broken and amount of warnings/kicks. It's much better if communication is used and it might take some time, but it's worth it. :P I'm glad more mods are going to learn about this post.

+1 by Swirlie, Sam , Aaron, Scott and 1 other

Login or join the forums to reply.